I began a journey listening to the relaxation CD provided for this class. Although the power of suggestion is not foreign to me, this exercise did not accomplish all that I had hoped for. Sitting in my chair, I performed the exercise. I immediately felt a level of relaxation wash over me and my muscles and body sank into the chair. However, that is where the effects ended. The journey through suggestions provided by the CD to direct the blood flow in my body to my hands was not successful for me. I felt no increas in heaviness or warmth in my arms and hands. This was very disappointing to me. In addition, I felt it very difficult to completely lose sight of my surroundings even with my eyes closed.
Overall, the exercise helped me to momentarily relax and slightly loosened the tension in my neck. However, I think that I need significant practice with these exercises for the impact to be more beneficial and long lasting. Although my experience was less than successful, I understand the importance of this exercise and would suggest this as a relaxation method for people to use. Practice makes perfect!
I am right with you on this one. I did this exercise in bed at 5am when I could no longer sleep. I couldn't achieve the desired effect either. I need practice too. I have a hard time relaxing at any time.
ReplyDeleteHi there Sara Beth,
ReplyDeleteI am the first to admit doing this type of exercise is like going into uncharted waters for me. I utilize relaxation techniques, but not in this fashion. Maybe I should start, because I was not very good at this one. Either I need more practice, or I am more stressed than I think!