Monday, December 6, 2010

Loving Kindness exercises

This week all of the lessons I have learned over the years to love myself so that I can effectively love others came to a boiling point of understanding. This exercise gave me the opportunity to allow myself to relax and bask in the love and affection that others have for me and that I unconsciously have for myself. With this exercise I was able to pull that understanding of loving myself out of my unconscious and into my conscious awareness. The activity was revitalizing and one that I plan to perform often.
There were areas of this exercise that were difficult for me. As with the other exercises, this one proved challenging in the realm of relaxing my entire body in congruence with the speakers instructions. However, I did find the wave-like sounds very relaxing and refreshing all in one.
Overall, I believe everyone should try this exercise. Even if you feel you are a relaxed person who is confident and loves themselves, this exercise can provide great insight and benefit for daily activities.

2 comments:

  1. I really did love the ocean sounds myself, in fact at this point in time I could probably benefit from just listening to the ocean without anything else I find it so relaxing. I was weird, I had just gotten used to the male voice in the exercises and then there was a female. It kind of threw me.

    I agree with you that if you do not love yourself you will be unable to fully love others. This is a similar attitude to one that I always to preach to people about if you are not happy and fulfilled when you are alone you will not be happy in a relationship. It took me 2 years after I left my marriage to get involved again because I knew I had to get to know myself what I wanted and did not want out a relationship and be happy with my choices and myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SaraBeth,

    Loving yourself is essential to human flourishing, because when we have love within it is easier to love others.

    I am ususally a loving person, but their are times when lifestyle circumstances change your attitude. I learn that I need to take time out for myself first before I am able to give to others.

    Most people see kindness as a sign of weakness, and they will bring you pain and sorrow if they can. It is for this reason that I have a defensive wall up to protect my emotions from others, and have become withdrawn as a result. I am learning again to be more trusting of other but this isn't a easy task to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete